Friday, January 9, 2009

Cold Weather and Hot Biscuits

It's 30 degrees outside and my students and I are standing in the car line selling hot chick-fil-a biscuits. Yes, this was my idea!

The Singers started this fundraiser last year to support all of the extras that our choral program has to offer. We began by selling every Friday morning for one month, but after seeing the profit we could make decided to continue selling for the rest of the school year. Money raised goes to buy quality choral repertoire for the students to study, instead of just the free stuff I can get my hands on. It also provides scholarships for students who need some extra help paying for a field trip or a t-shirt. Sometimes we even have enough money left over to do something special for the whole choir; for example, last spring all the kids got a free ticket to Carowinds to sing for competition.

Not only does selling biscuits help us raise money, but it also helps raise the moral of my singers. I always stress to them that we are a family and we work hard, play hard, and sometimes even struggle together. The point is that we are "all in this together"! Watching my students pre-sell biscuits each week and stand out in the cold and rain to sell in the car line makes me so proud of their commitment. Because they give so much of themselves in ways other than singing, they take more pride in putting their heart into the music they sing. We are servants to our community, not only by warming their hearts with singing, but warming their tummies with breakfast each Friday morning!

Thank you to Chick-fil-a, our principal, faculty and staff, and car line parents for helping us make this program a huge success!

No comments:

Post a Comment